[aprssig] NWS ON rf

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat May 9 09:41:10 EDT 2009

I'm sorry, but this does not fit with the design of APRS. Use of
tactical callsigns is an important part of the utility of the service.
These are fully legal in most countries as long as the real callsign
appears in other places or in other packets. If tactical callsigns are
not legal in your country, then don't use them, the choice is entirely
yours. Remember that if a tactical callsign is transmitted by an
Internet Gate, the tactical callsign IS NOT the callsign used in the
AX-25 originating field. As both Pete and I explained, the packet in
question was not transmitted by any APRS program that adheres to the
APRS Spec, and we both strongly believe it was not transmitted at all
in this form.

Steve