[aprssig] Looking for an appplication ?

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Thu May 7 10:00:38 EDT 2009

Interesting...

Seems the rest of the world has the march on the US re mobile phone systems, and their "reusability friendliness".   It's extremely common here to unlock a phone, I do mine as soon as I get them, even the company phones!   They continue to work just fine on their intended network, but are then usable on any network as and when needed, should you want, just by swapping the SIMs about.   There are websites of the providers too, where you can get them to send a service message to the phone, to create all the needed settings for their network, very convenient.

Nokia's in particular are so easy to do, there are hundreds of websites where you enter you IMEI number, and original network details, and they will generate a collection of key sequences to key in, usually the first will do the trick, in rare cases I've had to make three attempts.  There are even downloadable applications to do that.   I have two!

The scam with stealing mobile phones, is not just for re-sale (next to nil value anyway, unless it's the latest and greatest gadget) but to steal money by dialling a "special" number (often in Hong Kong) and when it answers, lock the phone and throw it in the bushes, or a refuse bin.   It then empties the victims account to the bad guy's coffers (at a frightening rate!)   For as long as the battery lasts, or until the PAYG credit runs' out.   (Pay As You Go, or Pre-Pay)

I've not (yet) suffered that, but I know some who have.   One got a bill for some £300+,  But after a struggle, and proving that she had notified the provider her phone was stolen during the immediate aftermath of a minor car accident (someone just reached in and took it from her car!) that was reduced to some £100.   Still expensive, but...   Of course, the phone was never found, and she had to start a new contract.   Strangely, her biggest worry, was that some bad guy would find the pictures of her children, and come round in person!   Most people (me included) do store an amazing amount of personal info in the things, at least I make backups, and it's not exactly easily understandable to non ham's.

Take care peeps'..

73

Dave G0WBX.