[aprssig] APRS touch-tone and PL and repeaters?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 6 10:24:59 EDT 2009

The Bland Ranch wrote:
> Commercial repeaters (Motorola I know best) have been able to handle multiple
> PLs for quite a while. The controllers may be another issue.
>
> A consideration when doing such things is that while you are sending your tones
> and the repeater TX is not active, someone may think the repeater is not in use
> and TX on top of you. The questions is, how often might this happen?
>
> A possible work-around is to have the different PL still key the TX but with no
> pass-through audio. At least others would know the RX is in use.

Or is the voice user just going to assume this is a long tail after
someone else stopped transmitting, and that it is fair game to key up
on.       I think you would have to insert some sort of "busy tone" on
the repeater transmitter (perhaps at a very low deviation so as to not
be too annoying.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:     WA8LMF

World Digipeater Map