[aprssig] APRS touch-tone

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 5 09:09:02 EDT 2009

>> Last year we were trying to motivate all
>> the repeater manufacturers ...  we could
>> never get a standard set of tones across
>> all MFR's and so this would cause nothing
>> but problems.
>
> Just curious.  I can't figure out what
> U mean by; "...standard set of tones...".
> What's the function of these "tones"?

Every DTMF APRS user pre-sets his callsign into a DTMF memory so
that he can send it wherever and whenever.  Having random people
sending random digits on random repeaters scares the begesus out
of repeater owners.  So we have abandoned that idea and are
going with setting it up on a simplex frequency.

My callsign with a "9" overlay would be A9A2B42A7A7C95#

Bob, WB4APR