[aprssig] Looking for an appplication ?

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Mon May 4 14:12:53 EDT 2009

For those of you who haven't been following the thread:
I developed an email system for requesting an APRS station's status.
To get a station's status (last heard, location, and APRS status),
just send an email or SMS with the station's callsign to aprs at tomh.us.
You should receive a reply in a minute or so.

> Thank you so much! This should be a really useful application.

You're welcome! I'm glad so many people have found it useful.

> I agree with Jeff that adding the actual lat/long might be a nice addition.
>
> It's a minor thing, but it would also be nice if you sent email with a
> subject. Perhaps something like "Location of <callsign>" or (my preference)
> "RE: <original subject>"

These have been popular requests, and are simple to do, so I have
added them. There is a caveat though. SMS is limited to 140-160
characters depending on your carrier. These two features add a number
of characters to the overall message, so your message may be
truncated. The longitude is the last thing listed, so let me know if
it seems truncated. I have no control over this. It's usually done in
the carrier's email-to-SMS gateway.

> And perhaps you could get it to work with rich text... (although this hasn't
> been a problem for me so far).

Parsing multi-part email is more complex than plain text. I intended
this application to be used with SMS. If you're at a computer, you can
just look at the station on aprs.fi. If there is a valid use case for
rich text and this application, I'll consider supporting it. (Is
anyone familiar with a good email parser library/class for PHP?)

73

Tom KD7LXL