[aprssig] N1BQ-3 ... end of an era, beginning of a new one

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Mon May 4 01:56:45 EDT 2009

Over the last couple weeks I have  noticed the digipeater here at
Wulfden was 'printing' to APRS_IS barely once a day ... I finally got
some time   to check things out and found that the output was really
low.

The transceiver for N1BQ-3 was given to me by the Burlington Amateur
Radio Club 18 years ago to put up as a packet node with the call
KA2BQE-3/UCV (Underhill Center, Vt). It was a Kenwood TM231A and was
in 24/7 packet service for the last 18 years. I have no exact figures,
but my best estimate is  that it had less than 96 hours total down
time in the entire 18 years. The dial light was long gone, the backup
battery was shot and every now and then it lost its mind and sent
itself to 144.020 (why that number I have no idea!) .. fortunately not
often and not at all in the last two years. But now the finals just
don't have enough smoke left in them. So this afternoon the 321 was
replaced with a more recent cousin  a lightly used Kenwood TM261A and
N1BQ-3 was back on the air. I checked Findu and the position packets
have 'printed' to the APRS-IS every ten minutes for the last 6 hours.
Once again, all is well in Mudville!

N1BQ-3 is located at 1600 ft ASL on the Western slope of Mount
Mansfield. It is a 'new-paradigm' digipeater and it serves
Northwestern Vermont and Eastern Northern New York, as well as link
the Montreal, PQ APRS LAN to the Albany/Saratoga NY APRS LAN, so it
sees a lot of traffic.

Would that all our equipment would even give half that much  reliable
service.

--
cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont
   <http://www.wulfden.org/TheShoppe/>