[aprssig] Looking for an appplication ?

Jeff Dugas radarbuzz at delphiforums.com
Fri May 1 20:21:31 EDT 2009

That's pretty neat!
The actual Lat / Lon in the reply would be my only suggested improvement.

Actually, I've been looking for something I could "subscribe" to, by
callsign, where I could get a text message (or email) for every APRS
position report a particular station of interest transmitted.

73,
Jeff N5TEV

> Does anyone know of an application or service that would allow me to
> send a text message via regular cellphone and ask for basic status
> info on an APRS station?

I've been meaning to write one for a few months now. Luckily you reminded me
on a free afternoon!

How's this:
- Send an email (SMS, whatever) to aprs at tomh.us. The message text should be
the callsign to query.
- Within a minute or two, you should receive a reply with station's
callsign, last heard time, current street address/city, and status text.

Try it!

Note: if you are going to experiment with this by sending an email from a
computer, make sure you are sending the email in plain text. I don't strip
the multi-part data, so you may get a mangled response if you are sending
rich text.

I'm currently getting my APRS data using the aprsworld.net lastposition
table. Reverse geocoding is done with the Google Maps API.

I just hacked this together quickly, so any suggestions or bug reports are
welcome.

73

Tom KD7LXL