[aprssig] "Superdigi" experiment at MB7UBN

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun Mar 15 12:07:22 EDT 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Chris Moulding wrote:

> I'm currently running an experiment to test a "superdigi" option using
> the MB7UBN igate. The superdigi option digipeats WIDE1-1 as normal but
> also digipeats any other valid APRS packet and re-transmits it as a
> WIDE2-1 packet to allow it to be digipeated once more by another
> digipeater.

Somehow, I cringe at the thought of a digipeater modifying the path of an
incoming packet, especially in the direction of extending it, even one
more hop.  Not only will it increase channel congestion, but it also hides
obsolete or mis-configured TNCs, removing the incentive for an operator to
learn current best practices.

DANGER: You're on a slippery slope here.

That said, I'm of the opinion that APRS messaging as currently implemented
is a horribly inefficient protocol, and I would welcome a digi option that
will simply refuse to retransmit any message packet that has already been
digi'd ONCE, no matter what path the originator is requesting.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009