[aprssig] APRS Mountaintopping

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jun 29 20:33:12 EDT 2009

>> Bob KL3BD is on Mt McKinley...
>
> I managed to get an APRS message to KL3BD...
> He was at the time at about 5073 metres or
> 16645 feet.... probably both high elevation
> records, and being broken every time he transmits.

We easterners envy those western mountains.  I bet the left
coast guys could get APRS packets from San Diego to Seattle in a
lot less than the 14 hops it is going to take us on the
Appalachian Trail. www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

Why doesn't someone take on the challenge along the coast, or
through the rockies, or wherever...  They have nice trails out
there...

APRS use it or lose it.  With all those D7's and now the VX-8R,
every ham hiker should have one...

Bob, WB4APR