[aprssig] APRS Clients Blackberry

Matthew Asham/BCWNS matthewa at bcwireless.net
Tue Jun 23 18:44:39 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 11:43 -0700, Tom Hayward wrote:
> > There is a problem with cell phone implementation of a traditional APRS
> > client. You need to stay connected in order to continuously parse the
> > incoming data.
>
> This problem could be mitigated by the application connecting to a
> history feed. I'm not aware of a bi-directional history feed though,
> so it would need to connect to a normal port for posting posits.
>
> I have some friends who would be interested in a Blackberry APRS
> client (don't have one myself). Any Blackberry programmers on the
> list?

It's been on the edge of my radar for a while now.  What I had in mind
was a service monitoring aprs-is and collecting information that the BB
would periodically poll.  This is more or less how the web aprs app I
wrote for bcwireless.net works and allows for "offline" message
reception.

I could be convinced to spare some cycles on such a project provided
there's sufficient interest and little duplication of effort (time's is
precious).  My general BB target is OS 4.5 and not the fancy touch
features of the Storm.

'73 Matthew VE7UDP