[aprssig] APRS Clients Blackberry

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Jun 23 12:53:55 EDT 2009

I've never heard of one, I'm sure someone will chime in if there is.

There is a problem with cell phone implementation of a traditional
APRS client. You need to stay connected in order to continuously parse
the incoming data. That means one of two choices: either you leave the
APRS application in the foreground, or multitasking. Only the Palm Pre
supports true multitasking at this point. I doubt one of the 30
applications available for the Pre is APRS ;-)

The iPhone choses not to implement multitasking because of the drain
on the battery. Read a review of the Pre, and you will see what
happens when you start multitasking. An APRS application (whether
foreground or background) could drain a cell phone's batteries in a
few hours. Instead of multitasking Apple implemented a push
notification service which causes no additional battery drain to the
phone. Say someone sends a message to me. A web server could detect
that, and send a notification to the phone, sounding a tone, placing
an alert on the screen, and adding a numbered badge to the apps icon
to indicate the number of waiting alerts. This system could allow a
user to specify a number of other types of notifications, like a
station within n miles, NWS alerts, etc. I hope the author of IBCNU
for the iPhone will add this feature.

To me this approach makes much more sensethan a traditional APRS client.

Steve K4HG