[aprssig] Field Day 2009 and APRS

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jun 17 12:33:36 EDT 2009

> ... but was wondering if Bob is going to
> publish operating specs for APRS use at
> Field Day sites?

Yes,  Play, make contacts, do demo's.  Primarily by using the CQSRVR written by  Pete Lovell.

1) SEND an APRS message to CQSRVR once an hour or so.
Message says: "CQ FD CQ FD 3A MDC whatever..."

This message will be delivered to ALL other field day sites who have similarly sent such a message.  On receiving one of these, then send a specific QSL message direct to that station.

2) Great demo's for your own club is to sit there, and send APRS "Email" to the cellphones and blackberry's of your club members around your site.  This shows them that APRS can reach outside of itself.

3) Try some TEMP7-7 packets to see if you can get out via mobile D700's.

4) Take some time to look at paths, look at your local network.  Make notes of improvements possible that you can send some emails about later...

etc.

Bob, WB4APR