[aprssig] Mobile Digi (TEMPn-N)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Jun 15 13:17:00 EDT 2009

Pentti Gronlund wrote:
> May I suggest a different approach to temporary digipeating:
> -use WIDEn-N paths everywhere
> -at a fill-in or mobile digi, wait for 5-10 seconds to hear another
>  digi to digipeat the packet, if it's not heard, then digipeat
> -limit the distance within which packets are digipeated
> -drop packets without position information, if lack of available
>  memory space doesn't allow building up a table of locations
<sarcasm> Did Kenwood OpenSource their D7, D700, and D710 control code
so that we could actually do something like this?  And with remote,
over-the-air push firmware upgrades so individual operators wouldn't
have a choice?  Where did I miss those announcements? </sarcasm>

If we had the ability to re-program the entire infrastructure, something
like this could be accomplished and on the surface looks like a
reasonable suggestion.  However, with the lack of success we've had over
the years just getting the WIDEn-N configuration conversion accomplished
(there's still a few RELAY/WIDE non-traceable digis in my area),
sweeping changes like this that require firmware/software upgrades would
be even worse.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ