[aprssig] Mobile Digi (TEMPn-N)

Pentti Gronlund pentti.gronlund at tut.fi
Mon Jun 15 12:57:48 EDT 2009

Robert Bruninga writes:

> > To support FD and such, all Tracker2's are
> > configured by default to support TEMPn-N,
> > which avoids any extra collisions during
> > normal operation.
>
> Great!  And if we can get all D700 owners to enable their
> UITRACE to support TEMPn-N as well, then we will have a ghost
> network able to fill in at any time, anywhere.  Even in places
> where the WIDEn-N network already has enough digipeaters, it
> doesn't hurt to have a spare battery-backedup TEMPn-N digi as
> well for emergencies.
>
> See http://aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html

Gentlemen,

May I suggest a different approach to temporary digipeating:

-use WIDEn-N paths everywhere
-at a fill-in or mobile digi, wait for 5-10 seconds to hear another
 digi to digipeat the packet, if it's not heard, then digipeat
-limit the distance within which packets are digipeated
-drop packets without position information, if lack of available
 memory space doesn't allow building up a table of locations

Just my 5 Euro cents' worth of network engineering,

Benjamin OH3BK
--
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!