[aprssig] Object Definition vs third-party traffic?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jun 10 11:01:54 EDT 2009

My thoughts...

> WX4MLB-3>BEACON:}146.52>APOBJ:!2806.  N/08039.  WrPHG7260 NWS MELBOURNE
> However, even though it's a well-formed third-party
> packet, the ostensible "third-party" is formatting
> something that is non-traceable ...

> The original packet, assuming that it was actually
> gated -IS to RF, would have been:
>
> 146.52>APOBJ:!2806.  N/08039.  WrPHG7260 NWS MELBOURNE
>
> That's certainly a mighty strange looking originating
> callsign, even for a tactical usage.

> In the meantime, I've discovered
> http://aprs.org/info/object-perm.txt
> which certainly seems to describe the packet
> under discussion...

Apparently we had originally proposed the possiblity of using FREQ objects as 3rd party, but then as the above text file notes, it was abandoned, since UIview wrongly tags the originators of all such objects as IGagtes.  So the above packet type is not recomended for the 2 reasons cited:

1) Originator is ambiguous or lost
2) UIvew wrongly indicagtes all such stations as IGagtes.

Hope that helps.

Bob, WB4APR
I will look at that text and see if it is up-to-date or needs revision.  I agree that the packet has lost attribution as to its source, and so I would no longer recommend that (if I did at some time earlier)..