[aprssig] fyi - More APRS on the peaks...

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 13:00:59 EDT 2009

fyi -

----

In one week, the Old Goats DXpedition team (including Rooster and
Peanut!) is off to participate in the Colo 14er "special event"
hamradio (see http://www.14er.org/ ) activation of Humboldt Peak
(14,064') this August 9th using our 2008 callsign of N0B. After
setting a "first" for a QRP HF out-of-state, 14er-to-14er qso in 2008
(Mt. Whitney, CA to Uncompaghre, CO), this time we hope to make a
3-way, summit QSOs between Mt. Shasta, Mt. Langley (both in CA) and
Humboldt Peak in CO. The Colorado team of Steve/wG0AT and Guy/N7UN
will hike into a 11,000' base camp on Friday and setup QRP antennas
for Friday and Saturday radio fun. Then at 4 am MDT on Sunday we will
start the summit climb of Humboldt with a goal of an 8 am MDT summit
activation using the special event callsign N0B. At the same time,
Brian/N6IZ will climb Mt. Shasta (14,162') and Mark/AF6AX will be
climbing Mt Langley (14,062'). Guy/N7UN will be carrying a portable
APRS unit (see http://aprs.fi and use N7UN-9 for the SSID) for near
realtime route tracking. See http://n0b-14er.blogspot.com/ for the
latest information and a spectacular picture of Humboldt Peak. Look
forward to working you from the summit!