[aprssig] APRS PC w/ touchscreen?

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 00:43:35 EDT 2009

Take a look at the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet.  I just got one a few weeks ago; really nice device.  Has a GPS built in too, and a USB port that will do either host or client mode (host mode with a downloadable application and sex-bending cable), so you might get your serial port that way, or you might be able to use the Bluetooth interface.  The unit runs a version of Debian Linux, and the Linux O/S is not buried or hidden from view.  It even ships with most of a car dash mount kit (everything but the part that is car-specific).

Nokia themselves show it as being on "backorder", which I think means that they're getting ready to release a newer one.  I got mine from Amazon.  The rumors that the new one will have a cell phone data plan (data only), which is a non-starter for me (don't need another monthly payment!).  Anyway, now's probably the time to get one of the current ones.

When you're no Xastiring around, use the internal Wi-Fi connection, or tether it to a data-plan-enabled cell phone, and surf the web, do email, make Skype calls, etc.

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n810  for the unit itself
http://www.maemo.org   for the operating system

Enjoy (and let me know what you come up with; I had the same thought...)

Greg  KO6TH