[aprssig] requesting icons

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jul 29 16:42:41 EDT 2009

Paul Fenrich wrote:
> John,
>
> I am wondering the same thing.  I do special events here in Texas in
> the Austin area.  I think symbols like a turtle and a hare would be
> useful.  Perhaps we could share what we learn about this.
>
> Paul
> KA5FZU
>
> John Fritze wrote:
>> I was wondering who might know how special icons could be made for
>> the APRS beacon stations?  For example, when I hike I carry a D7g
>> with a Deluo lite attached and would like my emblem to be a hiker,
>> not a jogger.

This issue seems to come up about every 6 months on various APRS mailing
lists....  Repeating yet again:

APRS symbols (icons) are NOT little bit map graphics transmitted through
the air by each user.   They are images stored ahead of time at the
RECEIVING end.    All you TRANSMIT is a two-character alpha-numeric
shorthand code that causes the receiving end to select a symbol from the
stored set and display it on their map.

To get everyone to see a new symbol requires that EVERYONE update the
locally-stored symbol set in their programs or hardware devices (i.e.
GPS displays, Kenwood radios, etc).  Not to mention the online services
such as findu, aprs.fi, openaprs, etc.

Further, in some programs, the symbol set is embedded inside the
compiled .EXE file and is not readily available to be replaced even if
you were willing to do so.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net