[aprssig] open vs. closed in ham radio (was: Is WXSVR Permanently Defunct???)

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 10:29:27 EDT 2009

[I know nothing of the Dale / WXSVR situation; my post has nothing to
do directly with either.  I'll change the subject line to reflect
that.]

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Steve Dimse<steve at dimse.com> wrote:
> Second, I think you grossly overestimate the value of this code.

I think maybe you grossly _under_estimate the value of _releasing_ the code.

Yes, managing an enterprise-class service, especially a global one, is
more than being able to compile some code. There are hams out there,
some on this list reading this very message, who have the skills and
resources to do it.

What they may lack are the resources to reverse-engineer the existing
system, re-implement it, and get it going again.  Releasing the code
would allow the service to continue.

Yes, if you write it the code is yours, entirely, to do with as you
see fit, including complete and utter annihilation.

What I really don't understand is why the author wouldn't want to
release it, when he's been providing the service to the community
anyway.  And this is what others have been saying - not that they have
a right, or even that the author should release it; they, like me,
wonder: why wouldn't he?

-Jason
kg4wsv