[aprssig] Is WXSVR Permanently Defunct???

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 29 15:27:38 EDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Tyler Allison wrote:

> In 2003 I asked WXSVR/Dale if he wanted/needed any help and I offered to
> setup a second server for redundancy and even participate in coding.  I
> asked if he would release his code so I could run and help maintain. He
> nicely said no thank you and pointed me at the various specs to go build
> my own.  At that point I _could_ have setup my own open source WXSVR style
> project but I moved on to an area that was not already served by a working
> solution.

Roughly the same here.  I knew we had a single-point-of-failure
issue there and offered to help.  Received about the same answer,
which was appropriate and I certainly could have gone off and done
what was suggested.  I was too busy with other projects though.

> At this point, someone needs to step up and build a new WXSVR system if
> Dale won't release his own code (BTW..has anyone asked?).

What I heard was that nobody's heard from Dale, even some who were
in regular communication with him before.  I'll hope & pray that
he's on vacation and that nothing serious has happened to him.  It's
certainly possible that WXSVR will suddenly spring back to life
shortly.

> I have the
> technical skills to do it, but I don't have the time to add a 14th project
> to my hobby list. Nor did I ever use WXSVR...so I have no personal skin in
> the game.

A partial replacement is already running.  Not seeing alerts?