[aprssig] Is WXSVR Permanently Defunct???

Tyler Allison tyler at allisonhouse.com
Wed Jul 29 15:17:13 EDT 2009

> how can we eliminate the single point of failure (or existence) of
> services on which we have come to depend?

The best approach in my mind is to contact the author(s) and ask to help
out.  BTW..."help out" does not mean provide opinion. Hams are really good
at giving unsolicited opinion. "help out" means spending your own time and
money on the project.

In 2003 I asked WXSVR/Dale if he wanted/needed any help and I offered to
setup a second server for redundancy and even participate in coding.  I
asked if he would release his code so I could run and help maintain. He
nicely said no thank you and pointed me at the various specs to go build
my own.  At that point I _could_ have setup my own open source WXSVR style
project but I moved on to an area that was not already served by a working
solution.

At this point, someone needs to step up and build a new WXSVR system if
Dale won't release his own code (BTW..has anyone asked?). I have the
technical skills to do it, but I don't have the time to add a 14th project
to my hobby list. Nor did I ever use WXSVR...so I have no personal skin in
the game.

-Tyler