[aprssig] Echolink/IRLP objects for the mobile

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jul 27 15:15:07 EDT 2009

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> EchoLink/IRLP for the APRS mobile:
>
> But I was surprised when I was rejected by a digi operator that
> would not support EchoLink at all, and only IRLP.  I thought
> this battle was over long ago, and that the two are getting
> along quite well.  I know there is a bias against all the
> non-radio Shack-potato's on EchoLink (same problem with
> shack-potato's on APRS), but, then this initiative to get these
> objects on APRS has nothing to do with the shack-potatos, only
> on-air ooperation.  We are only interested in OPEN Echolink
> Repeaters or links.  Can someone enlightmen me if this
> anti-echolink bias is still pervasive?

There are significant differences between the two systems:

o     IRLP is Linux-based and requires a specialized purpose-built
hardware interface between the computer and the radio. (Which physically
makes the "shack potato" mic-and-speaker-in-front-of the-computer mode
impossible.)

o     Echolink is is Windows-based and has no specific hardware
requirements. Echolink's termination on the computer can be anything - a
sound card interface to a user's radio, a mic & speaker, the  TX and RX
audio lines of a repeater, etc.   Echolink incorporates SOFTWARE  DTMF
decoding and SOFTWARE VOX-like audio  detection for RX activity which
can eliminate the need for bringing a receiver COR or squelch line out
of the radio.  (Though it will sense COR through a serial  port's DCD
hand shaking line and works FAR better if you do so.)

The result is that IRLP setups tend to be by the serious hardcore
techie  faction of amateur radio.    By contrast, because of it's
minimal hardware requirements and seemingly simple setup, Echolink nodes
are often just "thrown up" by casual appliance operators.   There tends
to be some overtones of the Linux-vs-Windows religious war among the two
factions.

Assuming they ARE actually connected to a radio instead of a computer
mic & speakers, many Echolink installations are crude lashups with radio
speaker and mic audio connections wired directly to a computer sound
card with no attempt to properly match audio levels,
de-emphasis/pre-emphasis equalization or ground-loop isolation, and with
no positive COR-based TX/RX sensing.

Many so-called Echolink "repeater" connections are not connected to the
repeater at all, but are actually just users' radios listening to a
repeater channel from miles away.  In this mode, the Echolink interface
has no positive way to sense the repeater receiver's
COR/squelch/"activity"  indicator. As a result, double squelch crashes
get fed into the Internet connection -- first the repeater squelch, then
the user's radio squelch. Worse, long repeater tails can  confuse the
Echolink VOX -based "COR" by sensing "silence" during the tail, causing
the Internet user to try to transmit before the repeater carrier has
dropped and reset it's timer.  This is aggravated by the 2 second or
more round-trip propagation delay over the Internet.

By the time a mobile user's TX audio reaches the Internet in such
lashups,  (and has been pre-de-re-de-emphasized FOUR times by his own
radio's TX audio system, the repeater receiver audio system, the
repeater transmit audio system and then the remote Echolink receiver's
audio system, each with less-than-optimum response curves), the Internet
user frequently experiences horribly distorted muffled muddy audio at
wildly high or very low levels.

This is not to say you can't have high-quality audio on Echolink.  You
can.  I actually built a separate  op-amp-based precision de-emphasis
network directly off the receiver discriminator for my Echolink node,
and precisely set the TX level so that 95% level from the Internet
corresponded to exactly 4.5 KHz deviation over the air.

In the "shack potato" mode, at least half the users try to close-talk
junk computer electret multi-media mics resulting in  muddy muffled
bass-heavy nearly un-intelligible audio.  [Echolink does provide a
software-based TX-audio bass-cut function that reduces this problem but
the appliance operators never read enough to discover this fact.]

[A little-known fact, due to the fact that most users don't RTFM, is
that you can connect a normal mobile radio hand mic's audio to the sound
card MIC IN and the mic's PTT line to one of the handshaking lines of a
serial port. This then allows you to use a communications-grade mic with
normal PTT EXACTLY the way you would on a radio!]

A large percentage of these clueless users:

a)     Don't know how to find and use the Windows record mixer to set
their outgoing audio level, and

b)     Don't comprehend the huge difference between talking to another
computer-only shack potato (with an essentially noiseless background
that renders proper level setting non-critical) and talking to a radio
user (where getting the link radio fully deviated with clean audio is
essential to the mobile listener.

At least 4 or 5 times a day, I get random connects to my Echolink node
from clueless shack pototatos that can't figure out how to set their TX
(Windows record) audio level (often no audio at all) and can't figure
out how to switch from RX to TX.   I get 15-30 seconds of dead audio
before either I or they disconnect....

BOTTOM LINE:  The Echolink software is an incredibly sophisticated &
capable program, but the deceptively-simple typical Windows
"run-Setup-and-use"   interface encourages far, far too many half-assed
setups by uninformed end-users that WON'T RTFM first!

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide