[aprssig] Echolink/IRLP objects for the mobile

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jul 27 13:07:23 EDT 2009

EchoLink/IRLP for the APRS mobile:

I am told that most local EchoLink nodes are OPEN and use the
same standard Access method....  Just used DTMF to dial the
desired Node anywhere in the world, and the link comes up.
Press # and it goes down.  Thus talking voice to any other Ham
operator is even simpler than using an Autopatch.  (6 digits
instead of 10)

So, I am gungho on getting these local OPEN EchoLink and IRLP
objects out to the mobile operator.  After a lot of learning
last week we figured out how to do it simply and effectively.
Just put them in the (now 3 slots for this purpose) in the local
digi as noted in the original email below.

But I was surprised when I was rejected by a digi operator that
would not support EchoLink at all, and only IRLP.  I thought
this battle was over long ago, and that the two are getting
along quite well.  I know there is a bias against all the
non-radio Shack-potato's on EchoLink (same problem with
shack-potato's on APRS), but, then this initiative to get these
objects on APRS has nothing to do with the shack-potatos, only
on-air ooperation.  We are only interested in OPEN Echolink
Repeaters or links.  Can someone enlightmen me if this
anti-echolink bias is still pervasive?

Bob, Wb4APR

out.
> Now.
>
> Each KPC-3+ and many other TNC DIGI's have 3 or 4 LOCATION
TEXTS
> plus one BEACON Text.  Under the New-N Paradigm, we used up
all
> of the LOCATION texts for the digi's proportional pathing
> beacon, and reserved the Btext for the LOCAL-FREQ-OBJECT.
>
> Now that everyone has more or less bought into the New-N
> paradigm, we can relax the Proportional Pathing and free up
more
> of those Ltexts for such use as the local Echolink Objects.
SO