[aprssig] EchoLink APRS-IS Ojbects Mothballed

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Jul 24 08:52:49 EDT 2009

Tim N8DEU wrote...

> Think of it as an on demand system where the user requests information
> in their specific area...

That sounds like UI-InfoKiosk , the add-on for UI-View. It would be
nothing like the IRLP APRS status script that periodically generate an
object for the node while idle, and a live up-to-the second update when
the status changes (e.g. connected to xxxx, idle again when
disconnected, or off-line) that indicates the status of the node, but
the operator (whether an IGate or not) could add objects for their local
EchoLink nodes. A visitor would just send ?INFO to the InfoKiosk and it
would list all of the objects available... or (assuming the EchoLink
nodes were like EL-xxxx) could just send ?EL and it would return all of
the EL-xxxx objects. Obviously, they should only be local nodes. The
operator should configure their station setup to have no path or just
one hop as appropriate to keep the information local.

If they wanted to prevent the objects from being gated, they could even
add NOGATE or RFONLY to their path. Sounds kinda silly to me though.
Either the APRS-IS grows to keep up with demand, or it will slowly cease
to be useful.

www.apritch.myby.co.uk/addon_uiview32.htm#infokiosk

Other uses... location of hospitals, schools, police stations, ferry
terminals, libraries, gas stations etc. I would suggest only adding gas
stations in rural areas. In most cities, there's one on every corner.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH