[aprssig] EchoLink APRS-IS Ojbects Mothballed

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at charter.net
Fri Jul 24 00:18:58 EDT 2009

There are a couple of servers like the callbook server that come to mind
where you query the server for information and it responds. With this
concept in mind, it might be worthy to devise an Echolink server to query
information on say 3 available Echolink servers in the requesters immediate
area. This avoids overloading the network by constant dribbling of the
entire database, except in instances where the user is sending an action to
the server to request a list of Echolink server objects in the area of the
requester.

Think of it as an on demand system where the user requests information in
their specific area, the server sends an ACK back to the requester to stop
the redundancy, and also transmits the Echolink Object back through the path
of the requester until the ACK is fulfilled. This allows all in the area of
the requester to see the available Echolink Objects as well. No more
bandwidth is utilized than what is sent on demand. The requester hopefully
gets the data as well as other listeners in the return path of the
requester. This method should not flood the entire network by keeping the
requested data local to the requesters digi path and IGate. The down side is
the requesters local IGate must allow objects to pass back through the RF
path when dealing with filtered ports on the APRS-IS. Unless the IGate's
that use filtered ports modify their filter, these object packets could be
blocked.

73's,
Tim - N8DEU
Decatur, Alabama