[aprssig] NE Illinois Balloon Tracks

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 23 18:36:08 EDT 2009

>> Note that these balloons were using
>> very APRS-abusive paths
>>
>> If you're going to fly... balloon altitudes,
>> please restrict your trackers to no path,
>> or at most a WIDE2-1.

I think that is too strong.  There were only two errors on this
flight, and neither of them are included in the text above:

1) They had a 30 second rate which is TOO OFTEN for a ballooon
(on the national channel)
2) They used WIDE1-1 in a 2 hop path

The BIGGEST problem was the inconsiderate use of 30 second rate.
The WIDE1-1 initial path is only a minor issue.  Although it is
not recommended, it is not as bad as claimed.  And I defend the
Balloonists desire to have a 2 hop path on the ground.

Everyone must remember that  with the New-N paradigm and
universal WIDEn-N digipeating, that a 2 hop path and a 1 hop
path from a high altitude balloon are almost no different to the
channel.  Each digipeater will digipeat the packet ONCE AND ONLY
ONCE.  In either case.  And the WIDE1-1 digi's will also
digipeat the packet ONCE AND ONLY ONCE.

And all of this once-and-only-once is happing in the SAME time
slot.  SO there should not be any more QRM than if the packet
used WIDE2-1...  UNLESS the local digipeaters have never been
fully setup as New-N.  In that case, it is not the fault of the
balloonist, but the local network.

Digipeaters are supposed to have UIDWAIT set to 0 so that all
digipeated packets happen at the same time.  If your local digi
does not have that set, it is part of the problem, not the
balloonists.

Just something to think about.

Bob, Wb4APR