[aprssig] Balloon Path general discussion.

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 17:55:33 EDT 2009

Yikes... an explosion of posts this am...

I'm engrossed in prep for a trip and will try to call one or two of these guys, but I had a thought that should be addressed before "helping" these folks.

Now, I'm SPECULATING, but this could be a valid argument...

First:
YES WIDE1-1 is BAD at altitude, no argument there.

For short flights, it only lasts for a while, yea, annoying, but perhaps bearable.

Then (here's where I speculate) When the baloon decends/lands, it would be nice to have it use fill-in digis, if it needs it, to facillate recovery.
...OK...  I see that rationale.   >> short flights; bearable.

SO  If the goal is IGates...
1 - How about options in the tracker SW to change Path at different altitudes...

Something like:
Alt < 500 Ft  WIDE1-1,Wide2-2
500 < alt < 2000  Wide 2-2
Alt > 2000  WIDE 2-1
...yea, I know, depends on locale, too.

Seems obvious...Or has this been discussed/considered/done...
   a.k.a. day late, dollar short dept.

73, Steve, K9DCI

  http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/