[aprssig] Separate APRS frequency for object query

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 23 16:04:16 EDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, rfinesmith at aol.com wrote:

> Aside?from any copyright
> issues against?re-transmitting this information, would this go
> against any FCC regulations??

It shouldn't.

> Would it go against the tenet of APRS??

Nope.

In this area we have several 9600 baud channels (2 or three
different bands) and a 1200 baud channel, plus a separate 1200 baud
channel for low-power trackers.

There's no reason not to put such information on yet another channel
except for prior users.  Good practice says to listen on a desire
channel before attempting to use it for such purposes.  I suspect
that even if you listen for months and then start using it, you
might still have people sometimes come out of the woodwork and say
"We use this channel all the time!"  Keep records of your listening
to the dead channel so that you have a valid response.

Another tip for new tower installations:  Put up the tower/antennas
but don't hook up to the coax for some time...   This gives you a
handy response when people start complaining about all the RFI you're
generating.  Yes, this does happen!