[aprssig] Thinking Out Loud About... Digipeaters

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:15:39 EDT 2009

I think the best temporary digipeater configuration for a special
event would be "SAR7-7", as Curt WE7U has hypothesized. This scheme
was devised so that every Search And Rescue tracker would also be a
digipeater, forming a mesh network of many digipeaters. The trackers
would use a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,SAR7-7 and be configured to
preemptively digipeat SAR7-7.

The only tracker that I'm aware of capable of preemptively digipeating
is the Argent Data Systems Tracker2
(http://www.argentdata.com/products/tracker2.html). Each of your
digipeater stations would need one of these or another capable
digipeater software such as digi_ned.

The WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,SAR7-7 path (SAR is arbitrary, you could use RACE,
EVENT, etc.) gets you into the standard APRS network when available,
but also allows for many hops in your temporary event infrastructure.
When every station/tracker is a digipeater, as long as every mobile is
in range of at least one other mobile, packets will be digipeated up
to 7 times within your temporary infrastructure.

Curt used to have a webpage that described this better, but I wasn't
able to find it.

Tom KD7LXL