[aprssig] EchoLink and other Local Info - Future?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jul 23 12:58:06 EDT 2009

Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> As far as this EchoLink objects project, we have arrived at a
>> show-stopper (traffic load).  To me, that simply offers a
>> challenge.  I see two possible approaches?:
>>
>> 1) A widget that runs in parallel with a local Igate, but that
>> can share the TNC.  It gets the Echolink status periodically
>> just for the local object, and then it beaons that object ONLY
>> to its own path (independent of the Igate's path).
>>
>> 2) An upgrade to the APRS-IS that provides regional feeds, so
>> that Lynn's engine can inject only regional info into regional
>> feeds.

Again, if you can bend the ear of Echolink's developer, this issue can
be solved very easily:

      Support for the AGW Packet Engine in Echolink's APRS reporting
module.

Currently, Echolink supports the RF announcing mode either by:

1)   Using a dedicated radio & TNC

2)   Communicating directly with UIview and "piggybacking" on the radio
and TNC UIview is controlling.

Unfortunately, the linkage only works with UIview if it is running in
the classic TNC command interface mode.   You can't run UIview in the
KISS mode (where it must operate to function as a digipeater and igate).

The AGW Packet Engine is far far more than just a soundcard "software
TNC".  It is a sophisticated data distributer that can share serial
streams from up to 16 hardware or software TNCs with a nearly unlimited
number of packet-data-using applications.  It can separate the VHF and
HF data streams received on a single physical serial port from a KAM to
multiple data streams on multiple logical ports.

It interfaces to physical (hardware) TNCs on serial ports via a KISS
interface A pull-down list box provides explicit support for every
flavor of Kantronics, AEA/TIMEwave, TNC2 and Paccom devices, along with
a number of TNCs only widely offered in Europe, and of course sound
cards.  It can deliver these outputs either via Windows DDE (dynamic
data exchange) to programs on the same PC, or via TCP/IP to either local
or distant PCs.

Digital types can think of AGWpe as a kind of "router" or "switch" for
KISS serial data.  Analog types can liken it to a "distribution amp" for
serial ports.

Note that each application talking back to the AGWpe interface uses it's
own callsign, SSID and most importantly PATH. For example, UIview might
be beaconing on a WIDE1-1 path, Echolink could be beaconing on a
direct-only path, and UI Events beaconing on a one-hop path of a
specific digi's eplicit callsign -- all on the same radio/TNC setup!

If Echolink would join the ranks of applications that support the AGWpe
DDE interface, it could effortlessly share TNCs  --ALREADY BEING USED--
by UIview, APRSplus, WinAPRS, AGW Tracker, UI Events, UI Traffic
Manager, WinPack, APRS Emergency, etc.

Or for non-APRS Echolink operators operating on UHF, AGWpe operating in
the sound card TNC mode would let you recycle any old 2M radio on 144.39
for local APRS status beacons with no TNC at all required.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide