[aprssig] Q: What's the Omni DF Formula

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 23 11:17:10 EDT 2009

Its in the original docs: http://aprs.org/APRS-docs/DF.TXT

> I made an Excel spreadsheet with a nifty
> bubble chart and somewhat of a size
> approximation, but would like to use the
> formula that is (hopfully) determined by
> more than my (highly, of course) educated guesses.

Basically a not-heard circle is the same size as the PHG circle.
As the signal gets stronger, the circle size gets smaller
because obviously the signal has to be closer.
Actually, it is the same at the PHG calculator, but instead of P
for Power, let P = 10/S where S is the reported signal strength.
For S = 0, I think I forced it to S=.5 to avoid a singularity.

So a signal report of 1, is the same as a PHG circle for a 10W
station.
A signal of 2 is the same size as a PHG circle for a 5W station
and so forth.

Please note, that years back, in APRS1.1, the size of the PHG
circle was HALVED for display of actual mobile ranges.  Iin this
case, for DFS, do not divide the circle by half.

Bob, WB4APR

> FINALLY, an up to date APRS Beginner Guide - 2009.
> Direct link:
> http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/APRS Beginner Guide - K9DCI Ver
5-1.pdf
> OR
>   http://K9DCI.home.comcast.net
>     Click the APRS Beginner INFO link under Contact
>
> Manage Radio Memories with an Excel Spreadsheet !
> Click to tune. Click to capture Radio freq.
> All Memories on one page. Cut, Copy, Paste, Print 'em...
> For:
> TM-D700 |         TH-F6A      |   TS-2000    |   Icom 706MkIIG
> All PMs |Real-time & memories | Sat mems too | Loads Mem
Tones!

http://home.comcast.net/~k9dci/site/?/page/Amateur_Radio_Control
/