[aprssig] EchoLink and other Local Info - Future?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 23 11:04:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> 1) A widget that runs in parallel with a local Igate, but that
> can share the TNC.  It gets the Echolink status periodically
> just for the local object, and then it beaons that object ONLY
> to its own path (independent of the Igate's path).

If anyone's interested in doing a GPL'ed version (some people have
an aversion to that license and prefer BSD or some other), Xastir
has generic C-code to connect to a local or remote AGWPE instance,
plus code to connect to a local Linux AX.25 kernel networking port.
A "widget" could be created to connect to either type of port and
each of those ports allows sharing among applications.  I don't have
the time/energy to do such but could help point out what bits of
code are needed.

Yet another approach would be a script to connect to some external
site to snag the bits of data needed, create the APRS packets, then
log into the "local TNC" socket of the local igate and inject those
packets.  This would probably be the easier approach if all or most
igates still have such a port available and you can inject packets
into it.  My Firenet scripts do essentially this sort of thing so
could be adapted for the purpose, written in Perl.