[aprssig] Throttleing EchoLink Objects

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Jul 22 22:46:42 EDT 2009

Steve Dimse wrote:
> It does not need to be a turned into an object. The idea is very old
> going back at least 10 years to a DCC presentation by John Hansen
> W2FS. I forget what he called his idea, but it periodically
> resurfaces. Never been well implemented though. If you want some piece
> of info, you ask and it is returned in a message. Easy.

But if it isn't an object, I don't think the magic "Tune" button on the
Kenwoods will work.  Also, I'm looking at the larger picture with
smarter, larger screen, graphical clients that can actually display the
received objects on a map overlay.  If it's "just a message", nothing
can interpret it.  If it's an "object in a message", then the message
reply/local stations support will deliver it and the client can
interpret the enhanced information.
> There is no configuration needed for the IGate, the message from the
> data server to you is automatically gated to RF.
We agree, that's the glory of a message.  It's directed traffic that
doesn't require pre-configuration.
> This is a good way to do it, it takes zero bandwidth except when it is
> being used. It will work everywhere that has a two way IGate. Easy.
Easy, but will probably get about as much activity as CQSERV, little to
none.  (pardon my pessimism)

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ