[aprssig] Throttleing EchoLink Objects

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jul 22 22:37:20 EDT 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 10:22 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> I'm thinking about this one also.  One central server that sees the
> query and injects just the objects local to that user.  Still no way
> to get it gated, unless the D710 (and other suitable clients)
> supports the Object in Message format (I'm still searching for the
> reference on this one), then the queried server can package the
> response as a message which turns magically into an object when
> received.

It does not need to be a turned into an object. The idea is very old
going back at least 10 years to a DCC presentation by John Hansen
W2FS. I forget what he called his idea, but it periodically
resurfaces. Never been well implemented though. If you want some piece
of info, you ask and it is returned in a message. Easy.

There is no configuration needed for the IGate, the message from the
data server to you is automatically gated to RF.

This is a good way to do it, it takes zero bandwidth except when it is
being used. It will work everywhere that has a two way IGate. Easy.

Steve K4HG