[aprssig] Throttleing EchoLink Objects

Michael J. Wolthuis wolthui3 at msu.edu
Wed Jul 22 22:11:42 EDT 2009

I agree the load is an issue.  However, where I would really like this
info is on my d710 for auto tune.  When I travel the US I have had many
instances where I don't know the local EchoLink node and so badly want
to check into one of my nets from another state.  I have drive to find
Internet terminals if I can't get it on my iPhone just to find the
nodes.  I have also done the drive and type on the phone to find them
heheh.....

I liked the idea of being able to know if the node was free, in-use,
offline, etc....

I do agree this probably should be handled at the local IGATE level.
However, without the data from the XML parse I can only put out a
non-informative object for my nodes.  I really like the IRLP script that
puts out the status, although that has had formatting issues with the
d710 also that are being worked on.

There is no way I can see a 10% increase on the APRS-IS as worth it for
those of us grabbing the full feed still, but if there was a single
separate server with the data and each IGATE operator (if so desired)
can connect to there also and grab the live data for his local area with
a simple filter and put it out with a local path it makes some sense.
Additionally, if that single server was able to be queried (ie. CQSRV)
and that returned to the APRS-IS and any IGATE the local object one time
only I think you have the best of all worlds.

I'm just saying I see both sides.  I love my cellphone and the Internet
on it, but I also like my d710 and the TUNE button...

Mike
kb8zgl