[aprssig] Throttleing EchoLink Objects

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jul 22 22:02:22 EDT 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 9:41 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> ITs not about how people use aprs now.  (Too many trackers, and no
> one watching)...  Its all about how we should be using APRS with
> displays in the mobiles.
>
> And pushing very useful data like Echolink nodes so that any time,
> anywhere, I can look at my radio, and make a voice contact to
> anywhere on the planet is a powerful tool...

IF (and it is a VERY BIG IF) this scheme automatically and reliably
placed the information on every mobile radio, we could discuss the
merits. But this proposal does not do that. It places the information
on the APRS IS, and depends on hundreds of IGate operators to
correctly (and recurrently) update their configuration files. You've
been at this long enough to know exactly how that will turn out.

Why not just tell those IGate operators (or any other local RF user)
to transmit an RF beacon with the information? Same amount of work,
and since it allows any ham, not just the IGate operator, to do it the
chance for success is greater. Any increased load on the APRS IS is
incidental to increased load on RF, and even that could be minimized
by making the beacon RFONLY.

> Build it and they will come! Bob, WB4APR

I have a big philosophical difference with your opinion. A 1200 baud
ALOHA channel will never be able to carry a significant amount of data
from the internet to mobiles. Ten years ago, when no other options
existed, trying made sense. Now mobile internet is common, two or
three years from now it will be ubiquitous. Why are you still trying
desperately to force all information through a tiny straw when there
is a huge pipe lying alongside?

The right tool for the right job...

Steve K4HG