[aprssig] Danger Will Robinson!

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jul 22 20:29:57 EDT 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 8:21 PM, Cap Pennell wrote:

> Now, where did we dispatch those CWOP stations off to?

A separate network was created for this traffic, cwop.aprs.net. findU
feeds from both the cwop network and the APRS IS network, so users of
findU can see both networks.

> Can we consider
> sending this Echolink internet stuff over there too?

No, there is really no connection between the two features. Besides,
the whole point is to put this data onto the local RF network, and
IGates do not connect to the cwop network.

> (Echolink does not
> require use of a radio.)

Actually, this does. These objects are the RF feedpoints of findU, the
idea is to put this information in the hands of APRS users who want to
use echolink. The intent is good, but since people say unless there is
a 10 minute feed, and that means more than a 10% increase in traffic
on the APRS IS, my opinion is that the return does not justify the cost.

Steve K4HG