[aprssig] Danger Will Robinson!

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 20:21:56 EDT 2009

> After reading all of this, I have to ask.... Why are we doing this?  What's
> wrong with letting the echolink operator send his own ID onto 144.39 with
> his own TNC?   As much as I like neat / cool things, this seems like we are
> going around our elbow to get to our nose.
> Wes

Good point, but that wouldn't leave us much to discuss would it? We're
hams, we like talking about new technologies and some of us even like
implementing them. I think that is the reason for the high email
volumes today.

I'd be the average Echolink sys-op doesn't have a TNC set up on 144.39
and the knowledge to compose an APRS object that contains his link's
current status. Lynn is taking care of the hard part--composing the
Echolink status into an APRS object. It is still up to local IGATE
operators to gate that object to 144.39.

Tom KD7LXL