[aprssig] Danger Will Robinson!

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Jul 22 17:38:02 EDT 2009

Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> A one-hour rate makes the service basically useless.   Echolink nodes
> are constantly logging on, logging off, shifting from "idle" to
> "in-use"  and back again every few minutes.
I personally don't think the purpose of the APRS feed is the real-time
status of the node, other than On or Off.  Busy/Conference is a
side-benefit.  The EXISTENCE of the EchoLink node remains the same and
that would still be available with the 1 hour update.
> Further, as a user logged onto the APRS-IS, would there be any way to
> filter for these objects explicitly in a port 14580 filter port
> login?   Or do we need a new class of filter for the JavAPRS server?

We're discussing a ToCall (or Unproto) of APELNK.  You would use the u
(Unproto Address Filter) to get these packets from your filtered feed.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

(From the **javAPRS Filter Users Guide V 3.1)**

#13   u/   Unproto Address  Filter
This filter will pass packets which match the Unproto (or destination
field) in
the packet. This filter supports wildcards. This filter would be useful
to extract packets from "altnets" using non-standard destination
addresses for an organized activity, while ignoring "normal" packets
heard by the same digipeaters and igates.

Syntax: u/text/text/te*...