[aprssig] Danger Will Robinson!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 17:30:20 EDT 2009

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I'm only hoping to offer a service that was requested.  I also
> understand the ramifications of it.  I'd really like this information
> to be visible from the various -IS viewing sites like findu.com,
> aprs.fi, and any others that I don't know of.  That's why I was asking
> about the beaconing rate.  I understand that 10 minutes provides good
> local visibility, but if we want to do that, then just get the IGate
> operators to set up their own objects.
>
> However, right now, there's no easy way for them to even SEE what's
> around them to know what objects they might even want to consider.
>
> What would your thoughts be of a 1 hour update rate, with the data
> smoothed over 15 minutes for delivery?  That can at least make the
> objects visible, while possibly not getting an update out to a mobile
> operator driving through a coverage area.

A one-hour rate makes the service basically useless.   Echolink nodes
are constantly logging on, logging off, shifting from "idle" to
"in-use"  and back again every few minutes.

> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
>
> PS.  And Steve, it is is your right to filter however you see fit for
> your use.  However, as we go with a consensus on one issue, please
> don't let that decision reflect on me personally nor any other APRS
> activities in which I may be engaged.
> PPS.  Remember, it would be a fairly simple thing for the EchoLink
> author to simply have their software connect to the APRS-IS and inject
> their own packets under their own callsigns at their own rates and
> you'd still have 2,000 new objects arriving at some regular interval.

Given the constant rapidly-changing status of these objects, and the
VERY TRANSIENT nature of this information, I would think it would make
sense to propagate the latest Echolink status reports through the
APRS-IS in real time, but NOT archive, cache or save them in any way.

This would eliminate the caching/archiving/storage burden on the APRS
servers.

Further, as a user logged onto the APRS-IS, would there be any way to
filter for these objects explicitly in a port 14580 filter port login?
Or do we need a new class of filter for the JavAPRS server?

[Now that WXSVR seems to be defunct, I was thinking it would be neat to
plot EchoLink nodes on the whole-US map on my APRS webserver that
formerly displayed the real-time NWS warning and watch zones.

         <http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439>

To do this I would want to filter the port 14580 feed in a way that
would extract Echolink objects only.  ]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net