[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF (fina?l)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Jul 22 17:11:13 EDT 2009

Michael Wolthuis wrote:
> I wonder if it should be more of a setup like Pete's CQSRV where you have to
> send a message to ECHOSRV and it then returns the objects for the EL nodes
> within say 20 miles of you based on your reported APRS position.  Thus load
> is only user generated when users are requesting data and not constant.

And implement it as an "Object in message" as I've read about somewhere
and it only appears on the querying user's client.  Take a situational
awareness feature and reduce it down to CQSERV's status, a service that
is there and only 2 or 3 people know about.  Not worth the effort IMHO.

> This may defeat the LOCALINFO ideas of Bob though and goes more back to his
> APRSDATA days when it was a queried resource as opposed to a dump all
> design.

I'm only a year into ham (but 20+ years into programming), so I can't
say what the early days were like.  I'm only trying to make TODAY better
than YESTERDAY.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ