[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF (fina?l)

Michael Wolthuis wolthui3 at msu.edu
Wed Jul 22 16:52:13 EDT 2009

I was wondering about the load it would place also on the APRS-IS, but still
like the idea of being able to use my IGATEs to send the local echolink
nodes.

I wonder if it should be more of a setup like Pete's CQSRV where you have to
send a message to ECHOSRV and it then returns the objects for the EL nodes
within say 20 miles of you based on your reported APRS position.  Thus load
is only user generated when users are requesting data and not constant.

This may defeat the LOCALINFO ideas of Bob though and goes more back to his
APRSDATA days when it was a queried resource as opposed to a dump all
design.

Just my .02.  Glad to see a lively discussion on a useful topic!

Mike
kb8zgl