[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF (fina?l)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jul 22 16:55:24 EDT 2009

I disagree still, and strongly.

1) These are objects being created by a KE4ERJ Engine, and
should have that originators call.  That is how APRS is supposed
to work.  APRS displays the source of OBJECT packets as it
should.

2) This engine should not be creating an originators call on
behalf of someone else.  It violates the principle of least
astonishment.

3) AND it creates callsign conflicts with everyone who is on
APRS and also on Echolink!

4) AND it wastes display space on the mobile radio by displaying
these callsigns TWICE

5) AND it does not display the source.

All 5 of these problems are significant, and I do not see one
single reason for persisting in putting the Echolink Node call
as the AX.25 call in light of all these already reasons to the
contrary.

Please reconsider.

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR

(fina?l)

> Steve,
>
> There was discussion both ways, some people believe it should
be both
> ways.  There is no technical nor legal reason (on APRS-IS) for
one vs
> the other, although some mistakenly believed these objects
> would somehow
> conflict with the real station's position.
>
> My final decision was based on the following factors:
>
> 1) There's no interference for using the station's callsign
> 2) The ToCall of APELNK will be google-able and define where
> the objects
> are coming from
> 3) My call will be in the path of the raw packets on the
Internet