[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF (fina?l)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jul 22 16:46:08 EDT 2009

> How do we get these objects out on 2m?
> (from the perspective of igate operator)
> I certainly don't want to igate all
> echolink nodes onto my local lan, and I
> can't possibly know the number(s) of all
> the echolink nodes that may pop up in my vicinity

It's a local Igate Sysop function.  He knows his radio coverage
area (which should be small) and so somewhere in that area is
the best receommended local OPEN Echolink node for mobile
travelers.

Its just like the receommended voice repeater object.  We do not
want EVERY voice repeaetr spammed onto the APRS map, we only
want the best receommended one for the area of that digi.

Same goes for Echolink and IRLP nodes.  We certainly don't want
every PC of every ham in the area that oeprates Echolink in
couch-potato mode.  We only want to gate to RF what the local
area needs.

If we don't know that, then we have met the enemy and he is us.
Or I guess I mean, this is a service.  We try to learn the area
and inform others.  If we don't know, then who does?  Or I guess
I am saying, that tha is what APRS has always wanted to do in
the first place... Inform others as to assets available.

Hope that helps

Bob, Wb4APR