[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF (fina?l)

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jul 22 16:42:33 EDT 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Lynn,
>
> Great work!
> I have only been trying to get this for the last half dozen
> years or so.

One more thing. This is more than 2000 lines of data with more than
100 chars per line, and I heard a 10 minute cycle advocated by Bob.
This is a huge amount to dump on the APRS Internet System. You must
dribble this in over the full 10 minute cycle, even that may be too
fast. It will add more than 3 packets every second, but dumping more
than a few lines at a time will really have an adverse affect on the
entire system. Every full stream will grow by 1 GB a month, a core
server can expect to see its bandwith grow by nearly a terabyte a month.

I worry that this will be a huge load on every part of the system.
findU will need 3 GB more for the raw data table alone to hold 90 days
of this. I'm becoming less enthused the more I calculate the effect of
this. I may need to add a filter to findU, especially if the data is
not evenly spread out over the 10 minute cycle.

People complained about the load of citizen weather, this is more than
what CW handled before it split off. I think the whole APRS community
needs to debate whether this is a good use of a limited resource.

Steve K4HG