[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jul 22 12:19:12 EDT 2009

> 	I would NEVER want to reverse gate ALL of the Echolink
nodes!
> Especially every 10 minutes!

Nor would we!  This is ONLY for the Igate in range of the
EchoLink node to put out that one object only...

> 2. As the reverse situation of above, I
> certainly don't know ALL of the EchoLink
> stations and status's in the (Houston)
> metro market.
> Example: I could not reverse gate a NEW
> station, unless I know it
> exists. This needs to be automated.

Human intervention is required.  The local Igate sysop needs to
know what is the BEST echolink node for the mobile operator and
that is the only object we want to see in APRS.  We don't want
to flood APRS with every person that has a PC and calls his ego
repeater a node that only he can use...  Yes, this puts the
burden on Igate operators, but that is the local APRS guru who
has the local APRS area as his best interest...

> I like the idea of status updates (on-line / off-line), but
don't
> really care if they are busy or in a conference.

Ah, yes, the original idea of these objects was to also display
WHAT remote node the local node was conneced to.  So many times
you tune into a conversation and have no idea what is going on.
APRS was going to provide that info.  But I don't see any room
to put the station it is connected to, unless it is in the
additional data that does not fit the small screen.

Bob, Wb4APR