[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Wed Jul 22 11:11:17 EDT 2009

My main comment is don't use KJ4ERJ as the "from call".  Why?  Because you already use it and ALL station callsigns must be unique.  Having multiple software/stations use the same callsign will cause loop checking algorithms to sometimes delete non-duplicate packets.  Sergej misunderstood Steve's post.  Steve made no reference to using a callsign such as ECHOSVR (although he tends to not like these types of "callsigns"); Steve was simply saying it should be unique and not the Echolink station's callsign since the Echolink station is not generating the packet (sorry Sergej).

I highly recommend using a unique callsign that, as Mike mentioned, could then be Googled and the explanation/contact information for that "station" would easily be found.

I recommend sending this out no more often than every 10 minutes to keep from overloading an RF frequency.  Now, that said, one of the original thoughts on Echolink objects was to have them sent anytime there is a status update (busy to online, for instance) or every 10 minutes, whichever is sooner.  This would require you maintaining a mirror database of sorts indicating when you sent the last packet for a station and what its status was.  The good thing about this method is that, after a while of uptime, the packets would spread out some if you checked the XML every minute, for instance.  Just a thought for "phase 2" ;-)

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net