[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Jul 22 10:53:46 EDT 2009

Pete and Bob (and anyone else with comments),

Ok, I think I'm really close now.  I've posted a sample of the objects
to inject at http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net/EchoLink.txt  Some things to
notice as you scroll down through and align the columns with your eyes:

Some stations are 1.2Ghz (1294.780Mhz).  How should I format the
frequency object for these stations or is the current format going to work?

Some other stations have definitely mis-configured frequencies.  You'll
see things like 146430.000MHz and 432800.000MHz. These are obviously
missing decimal points in the EchoLink configuration.  I'm considering
massaging anything in the 144000-146000 and 430000-440000 range (or
whatever values are appropriate for 70cm).  What are your thoughts on that?

I just noticed another station at  52.060MHz (EL-102069) and  52.020MHz
(EL-5535).  Should this frequency be zero-filled?  It is currently
space-filled on the left.  I don't own any Kenwoods, so I'm not really
familiar with what they need for that direct frequency access feature.
There's even a station at   0.000MHz (EL-81308)!

I checked out the WinLink objects and decided that, with the removal of
the PHG, the Range makes more sense.  But I've enhanced the Rnnm as
well.  For Omni's, you'll see Rnnm.  For ordinal directions (N, E, S,
W), you'll see Nnnm, Ennm, Snnm, and Wnnm respectively (that last
character is an m).  For 45 degree directionality, you'll see NEnn SEnn
SWnn and NWnn (no trailing m to keep it in 4 characters).

Currently, I'm only thinking to gate non-Offline (Online, Conference,
Busy) nodes only.  I'll just not transmit any offline nodes allowing the
normal aging algorithms on the clients to slowly remove them from the
maps.  I've found the following status values from EchoLink:

F = Offline
N = Online
C = Conference
B = Busy

You will notice a bunch of [offline] comments in the list.  These are
actually in some on-line state, but have a <location> value (the source
of the extended comment) that says [offline].  I suspect this is the
client's way of hiding their real status since most users only ever see
the location string.  I'm guessing and assuming here, though.

I would like to continue supplying the <location> status string at the
end of the object.  This may not be visible on some radios, but there
are a bunch of other APRS (-IS and RF) clients out there that CAN
display the information.  I'm seeing more and more people adding
netbooks and laptops to their cars as APRS stations.  If the info is
there, and we're not sending it every minute, why not include it?

And that's my final question (for now).  How frequently should I be
updating these objects?  10 minutes or 30 minutes?  I know this is
written down somewhere, but Bob, you probably know it off the top of
your head!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Anxious to get this in place before Friday!