[aprssig] Q: NOGATE Method(s)

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Jul 20 11:19:49 EDT 2009

On Jul 20, 2009, at 9:16 AM, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:

> Also, the !x! description claims that it would work when placed in a
> status packet. Steve Dimse said it would work when placed in a
> comment. I think it's better if it's specified to be placed in the
> position packet's comment only, together with the position which is
> requested to not be archived.

It works on an individual packet level only. ANY packet that contains !
x! or x-no-archive simply increments a counter in findU's parser and
is then ignored. There is no "memory" that a station has sent an !x!.
This is an important feature, it allows the user to decide what
appears on findU. If you want your positions to appear on findU, but
want a message not to be archived, you can add !x! to the message and
findU will ignore it. If you do not want your positions to appear,
then place !x! in the comment field that appears in every position
packet.

Again, this is a very low demand feature. I added it shortly after the
release of findU because a couple very vocal hams were accusing me of
being big brother by making their data available on the internet. Ham
radio transmissions are specifically public domain information by FCC
rules (I forget the section number, it is not in Part 97, but another
part related to cross-part information transfer). Hams have no legal
right to control what happens to their data after they transmit it,
but I decided that if people did not want their data to appear on
findU I would allow people to opt out. This also would cover a
situation where some other county's rules are different.

Granted, it is not well publicized, but in the last few years I've not
had a single ham complain about the way their data is archived. There
really is not much demand.

I think it is important in any published discussion of !x! and RFONLY/
NOGATE to include a note that these features are not guaranteed to
work, not all IGates and databases implement them. I'd recommend
stating the FCC's position on the public domain status of US amateur
transmissions, and that if you do not want your data appearing on the
internet the only guaranteed way is not to transmit it!

Steve K4HG