[aprssig] Q: NOGATE Method(s)

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Sun Jul 19 11:37:01 EDT 2009

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009, Steve Noskowicz wrote:

> Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> wrote:
>> !x! was implemented as a shorthand for the internet standard...
>>
>> ...I implemented it in findU...as a way to allow hams to
>> opt out of having their positions stored on findU, ...
>> Years ago we settled on NOGATE and RFONLY...
>
> I was hopin' cuz' on the D700 & D7 changing between two different status
> texts is easier than the path.  No biggie.  Easier to remember anyway.

I hadn't seen this in any of the specifications, so it's not implemented
in aprs.fi yet. It seems useful, so I'll put it in the code now. Is it
documented somewhere else than the mailing list archives?

The feature doesn't seem to be really used, I only have a single station
in my database using it, and it has last transmitted in May 2009. I'll
delete that track now. :)

Steve Noskowicz should make a note that Steve Dimse said:

   "I added !x! in order to allow mic-e users to add it to their comment
text... "

That's *comment* string, not the *status* message. They're two different
things. The comment is transmitted together with position packets, and our
server-side software can conveniently drop the position packet if !x! is
seen in the beginning of the comment text. The separate status packet
might be only transmitted much later, or it might be lost.

   - Hessu, OH7LZB